Sunday, September 8, 2013

Giving Manjaro a second try

A few months ago I was trying out a new kid on the block linux distro called Manjaro. Manjaro is based on the very popular (in the geek world) Arch Linux which is light and fast but not known for being user friendly. It is also what is called a "rolling" distribution meaning you never need to install the latest version. Instead is simply updates without any need to upgrade to the latest version. Manjaro has taken Arch and are trying to make it more user friendly. They have done a very good job, but the distro is still in its infancy as it hasn't even made it to version 1.0. However the latest 0.8.7 is very solid and is very fast. I love it, hopfully the stability will continue and I can stick with it for a while.


2 comments:

  1. I've been running Manjaro on a System76 Bonobo for about two months. It's solid. It's run everything I've thrown at it. The default supports XFCE but I've been using gnome shell.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked it when I tested it before, it was really my first time I've played with a Arch based distro. I've been using Ubuntu or Ubuntu based mostly since 2007 though I have dabled in Debian, Fedora, and OpenSUSE. I really like this and it appears it will only get better!

    ReplyDelete